Indonesia is home to a wide variety of delicious street foods that are popular both locally and internationally. One such food is siomay udang goreng, a type of dumpling that is steamed and then fried. This popular snack can be found in many street markets and food stalls across Indonesia, and it’s a must-try for anyone visiting the country. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at siomay udang goreng and explore why it’s so beloved by locals and tourists alike.
What is Siomay Udang Goreng?
Siomay udang goreng is a type of dumpling that is filled with a mixture of ground shrimp, fish, and vegetables. The filling is then wrapped in a thin layer of pastry and steamed until cooked. After steaming, the dumplings are then fried until the pastry turns golden brown and crispy. The end result is a delicious, savory snack that is perfect for any time of day.
How to Make Siomay Udang Goreng
If you’re interested in trying your hand at making siomay udang goreng at home, here’s a simple recipe that you can follow:
- 500 grams of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 250 grams of fish fillet
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of chopped vegetables (carrots, cabbage, and celery)
- Wonton wrappers
- Oil for frying
1. In a food processor, pulse the shrimp and fish fillet until they are finely chopped.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the chopped shrimp and fish, egg, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, ground pepper, and salt.
3. Add the chopped vegetables to the mixture and mix well.
4. Place a spoonful of the mixture onto a wonton wrapper and fold it into a dumpling shape.
5. Steam the dumplings for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
6. Heat oil in a pan and fry the dumplings until the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
7. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Why Siomay Udang Goreng is So Popular
Siomay udang goreng is a popular street food in Indonesia for a number of reasons. For one, it’s a relatively cheap and filling snack that can be enjoyed on the go. It’s also a versatile dish that can be customized to suit different tastes. Some people like to add peanut sauce, chili sauce, or sweet soy sauce to their siomay udang goreng to add an extra kick of flavor. Additionally, siomay udang goreng is a snack that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds. Whether you’re a local or a tourist, siomay udang goreng is a snack that’s sure to satisfy your cravings.
Where to Find Siomay Udang Goreng
If you’re interested in trying siomay udang goreng for yourself, you can easily find it at street markets and food stalls throughout Indonesia. Some of the best places to try siomay udang goreng include Jakarta, Bandung, and Surabaya. You can also find it at some Indonesian restaurants around the world.
Siomay udang goreng is a delicious and versatile street food that is loved by Indonesians and visitors alike. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a filling meal, siomay udang goreng is a dish that’s sure to satisfy. With its savory filling, crispy pastry, and customizable flavors, it’s no wonder that siomay udang goreng has become a beloved staple of Indonesian cuisine. So why not give it a try for yourself and see why this delicious snack is such a hit?