Are you looking for a tasty and healthy snack that you can make at home? Siomay is a popular Indonesian dish that is loved by many. Traditionally made with fish, this recipe will show you how to make delicious siomay without the fish.
For the siomay:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the peanut sauce:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup sweet soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground chicken, cabbage, carrot, cornstarch, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
2. Take a small handful of the mixture and shape it into a ball. Place the ball on a piece of parchment paper and flatten it into a disk shape. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
3. Steam the siomay disks for 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked.
4. While the siomay is steaming, make the peanut sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, sweet soy sauce, water, garlic, and lime juice until smooth.
5. Serve the siomay hot with the peanut sauce on the side for dipping.
If you want to add some more flavor to your siomay, try adding some of these ingredients:
- Finely chopped green onions
- Chopped peanuts
- Minced ginger
- Shredded bamboo shoots
- Chopped water chestnuts
You can also experiment with different dipping sauces. Some popular options include:
- Sweet chili sauce
- Vinegar and garlic sauce
- Soy sauce and lime juice
- Sambal oelek (a spicy Indonesian chili paste)
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect siomay:
- Make sure to finely chop the cabbage and grate the carrot so that they mix well with the ground chicken.
- If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can use a colander lined with parchment paper.
- Don’t overcook the siomay or it will become dry and tough.
Siomay is a delicious and healthy snack that you can easily make at home. By using ground chicken instead of fish, you can create a tasty variation that is sure to please your taste buds. Whether you enjoy them as a snack or as part of a meal, these siomay are sure to become a new favorite in your household.