Siomay rebus, also known as boiled siomay, is a popular Indonesian dish that is enjoyed by many people. It is a healthy and delicious snack that is perfect for anyone who wants to eat something light, yet satisfying. Siomay rebus is made from steamed fish or shrimp that is then mixed with vegetables and spices to create a flavorful filling. It is then wrapped in a thin layer of dough and boiled until cooked. The dish is typically served with a peanut sauce and a sprinkle of fried onions. This article will explore the history and nutritional value of this dish, as well as how to make it at home.
The History of Siomay Rebus
Siomay rebus is believed to have originated from China and was brought to Indonesia by Chinese immigrants. However, the dish has since been adapted to suit the Indonesian taste buds and is now considered a traditional Indonesian dish. It is commonly sold as a street food snack and is also available in many Indonesian restaurants and food stalls.
Nutritional Value of Siomay Rebus
Siomay rebus is a healthy dish that is low in calories and high in protein. The fish or shrimp used in the filling provides a good source of lean protein, while the vegetables provide essential vitamins and minerals. The peanut sauce that is typically served with siomay rebus is also a good source of healthy fats. However, it is important to note that the calories and nutritional value of siomay rebus can vary depending on the ingredients used and the cooking method.
How to Make Siomay Rebus at Home
Making siomay rebus at home is a simple and easy process. Here is a recipe that you can try:
- 250 grams of fish or shrimp
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 potato, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Siomay wrappers
- Cut the fish or shrimp into small pieces and mix with the grated carrot, potato, garlic, egg, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and wrap it in a siomay wrapper. Repeat until all the filling is used up.
- Boil a pot of water and place a steaming basket on top.
- Place the siomay in the steaming basket and steam for 10-15 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve with peanut sauce and fried onions.
Siomay rebus is a delicious and healthy Indonesian dish that is loved by many. It is easy to make at home and can be enjoyed as a snack or a light meal. The dish is low in calories and high in protein and essential vitamins and minerals. If you are looking for a new and healthy snack to try, siomay rebus is definitely worth a try.