Siomay is a traditional Indonesian dish that is loved by many. It is a type of steamed dumpling that is filled with various ingredients, such as fish, shrimp, and vegetables. Siomay is usually served with peanut sauce and chili sauce. In this article, we will show you how to make delicious siomay that will make your taste buds dance.
Before we start making siomay, let’s first gather all the necessary ingredients. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 300 grams of minced fish
- 200 grams of minced shrimp
- 100 grams of tapioca starch
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of chicken powder
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 500 grams of cabbage, chopped finely
- 20 pieces of wonton wrappers
- 10 pieces of bamboo skewers
Now that we have all the ingredients, let’s start making siomay:
- In a large bowl, mix the minced fish, minced shrimp, tapioca starch, eggs, salt, sugar, chicken powder, pepper, and sesame oil. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Take a small amount of the mixture and form it into a ball. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Take a piece of wonton wrapper and place a ball of the mixture in the center. Gather the edges of the wrapper and press them together to seal the siomay. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Place the siomay in a steamer and steam for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage by blanching it in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Thread 2-3 pieces of siomay onto a bamboo skewer, alternating with pieces of cabbage.
- Repeat until all the siomay is used up.
- Serve the siomay with peanut sauce and chili sauce.
Here are some tips to make your siomay even more delicious:
- Use fresh ingredients for the best flavor.
- Make sure the siomay is sealed properly to prevent it from falling apart when steaming.
- Experiment with different fillings to find your favorite combination.
- Make the peanut sauce and chili sauce ahead of time to save time.
- Try grilling the siomay for a different texture.
Siomay is a delicious and healthy dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and can be customized to your liking. With these simple steps, you can make delicious siomay that will impress your family and friends. So why not give it a try?