Siomay is a popular Indonesian dish that is often served as a street food. This dish is made of steamed fish and shrimp dumplings that are served with a spicy peanut sauce. One of the most famous types of siomay is siomay Bandung, which originates from the city of Bandung in West Java.
Ingredients for the Siomay
To make siomay Bandung, you will need the following ingredients:
- 300 grams of ground fish (preferably mackerel)
- 100 grams of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 10 pieces of wonton wrappers
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Instructions for Making the Siomay
1. In a large bowl, combine the ground fish, shrimp, garlic, egg, salt, sugar, pepper, and cornstarch. Mix well until all the ingredients are well combined.2. Take a wonton wrapper and place a spoonful of the fish mixture in the center. Gather the edges of the wrapper around the filling and twist to seal. Repeat until all the filling is used up.3. Steam the siomay for 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked through.4. While the siomay is steaming, prepare the julienned carrots and cucumbers.5. Once the siomay is cooked, remove from the steamer and set aside.6. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and sauté the julienned vegetables for a minute or two.
Ingredients for the Peanut Sauce
To make the peanut sauce for the siomay, you will need the following ingredients:
- 100 grams of roasted peanuts, finely ground
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bird’s eye chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon of palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of water
Instructions for Making the Peanut Sauce
1. In a pan, heat the water and add the ground peanuts, garlic, and chilies.2. Stir well and add the tamarind paste, palm sugar, and salt.3. Continue to stir until the sauce thickens.4. Remove from heat and let cool.5. Once cooled, transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.
Instructions for Serving the Siomay
To serve the siomay, arrange the cooked dumplings on a plate and top with the sautéed vegetables. Drizzle the peanut sauce over the top and serve immediately.Enjoy the delicious and authentic taste of siomay Bandung!