Siomay ayam is a type of Indonesian steamed dumpling filled with a mixture of ground chicken and vegetables. It is a popular street food in Indonesia and one of the most favorite dishes for Indonesian people. The dish is easy to make, and you can customize the filling to your liking. In this article, we will share with you the recipe for making delicious and healthy siomay ayam.
For the siomay filling, you will need:
- 500 gr ground chicken
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 20 wonton wrappers
For the peanut sauce, you will need:
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, ground
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red chili peppers, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
Preparing the Filling
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, shredded carrot, chopped cabbage, chopped celery, chopped scallions, minced garlic, salt, ground black pepper, sugar, cornstarch, egg, and ice water. Mix well until all ingredients are well combined.
Place a wonton wrapper on a clean surface and spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the filling onto the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper over the filling and pinch the edges to seal. Repeat this process until all the wrappers and filling are used up.
Steaming the Siomay
Prepare a steamer and bring the water to a boil. Place the siomay on a steamer rack and steam for 10-15 minutes or until the filling is cooked through.
Preparing the Peanut Sauce
In a small pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and chopped red chili pepper and sauté until fragrant. Add the ground peanuts, salt, sugar, and hot water. Mix well until all ingredients are well combined.
Serving the Siomay
Arrange the siomay on a plate and serve with the peanut sauce. You can also garnish with some chopped scallions and fried shallots for added flavor.
- You can substitute the ground chicken with ground beef or pork.
- You can also add some shrimps or fish to the filling for added flavor.
- If you’re making the filling ahead of time, store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Make sure to seal the wonton wrapper tightly to prevent the filling from spilling out during steaming.
- You can prepare the peanut sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Siomay ayam is a delicious and healthy snack that you can make at home. With this recipe, you can customize the filling to your liking and enjoy the dish with the flavorful peanut sauce. Try making siomay ayam at home and impress your family and friends with your cooking skills.